- Types of conformity: internalisation, identification and compliance.
- Explanations for conformity: informational social influence and normative social influence
- Explanations of conformity – variables affecting conformity including group size, unanimity and task difficulty as investigated by Asch.
- Conformity to social roles as investigated by Zimbardo.
- Research into Obedience
- Explanations for obedience: agentic state and legitimacy of authority
- Situational variables affecting obedience including proximity, location and uniform, as investigated by Milgram.
- Dispositional explanation for obedience: The Authoritarian Personality.
- Explanations of resistance to social influence, including social support and locus of control.
- Minority influence including reference to consistency, commitment and flexibility.
- The role of social influence processes in social change.